The Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) is looking to fill gaps in its groundwater monitoring network. Here is a map that shows which counties they currently do not have any recorders (in gray). TWDB is primarily looking for sites located in these counties that may be eligible for recorder well equipment funded by TCEQ’s Supplemental Environmental Program funding. General criteria are:
- Unused water well (no pump)
- Water well with previous history/record of water levels
- Landowner consent to allow access to TWDB to install equipment and visit well periodically for maintenance needs and manual measurements
- Located in one of the grey counties on the attached map where there are currently no existing recorder wells
- Located in areas where there are no groundwater conservation districts or districts do not have the staff or financial ability to install recorders
- Located in areas with continuous monitoring needs (known water level declines, population growth, groundwater-surface water interaction, etc.)
This is not an exhaustive list and some of these items may be flexible. Real-time data from the equipped wells will be posted online to Water Data for Texas and TWDB staff will provide maintenance and support.
If anyone has a lead or additional questions about the program, they can reach out to Rebecca Storms (email@example.com) or Andrew Weinberg (firstname.lastname@example.org).